The Adams County Prosecutor's Office has an Infraction Deferral Program that may be available for individuals charged with traffic infractions (i.e. speeding tickets and other traffic tickets). If an offender is eligible, the offender must enter into an agreement with the Adams County Prosecuting Attorney that he/she will not commit another moving traffic offense or criminal offense for the length of the deferral period (6 months). Other additional terms may be added to the infraction deferral agreement as determined by the prosecutor.
Not all applicants will be allowed to enter the deferral program. Please download and complete the infraction deferral application if you wish to be considered for a deferral of your ticket. If you are allowed to participate in the program, you will be required to sign the infraction deferral agreement and must pay a deferral fee of $192.50. Upon successful completion of the terms of the agreement, your ticket will be dismissed and therefore will not appear on your driving record. However, if you violate the terms of the deferral agreement, your case will be returned to the court's docket for further prosecution. The deferral fee is not refundable under any circumstances.
The infraction deferral program is not available if any of the following apply:
* You are on probation or parole.
* You have more than four (4) active points on your driving record.
* You have a felony conviction within the last seven (7) years.
* You have previously received deferral treatment in the past five (5) years.
* You do not have a valid operator's license.
* You cannot provide proof of automobile insurance.
* You are less than 18 years old.
* You have a commercial driver's license (even if you were not driving a commercial vehicle at the time).
* You were cited for speeding at a rate at least 25 miles per hour in excess of the posted speed limit.
If none of the above apply to you, you may be accepted into the program depending on your driving record and your criminal history. If you live outside the State of Indiana, you must deliver a copy of your driving record to our office if you wish to be considered for the program. Your request for participation in the program will be reviewed by the prosecutor and someone from our office will contact you to let you know if you qualify. If you qualify, an agreement will be sent to you which you should carefully review prior to signing. The signed agreement must be filed with the clerk's office where you will also pay the infraction deferral fee. If you do not receive a response prior to your scheduled court date, you must still appear in court as directed. Similarly, if you are not accepted into the program, you must appear in court on the date and time noted on your ticket.
Copyright © Adams County Prosecutor's Office. All Rights Reserved.